Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Birchbox August 2012 Box #5 and Box #6


This month Birchbox teamed up with Pencils of Promise, a non-profit, to build a school in Central America. In August, 15% of all sales in the Birchbox shop are to go to the organization with the hopes of building a school in Guatemala. This is especially cool to me, as my future sister-in-law is adopted from Guatemala and even though she's only six, her mother has taken her back to see and help out at orphanages there.

I received two boxes this month because I can't help myself and love Birchbox.

Box #5:

Contents:
Caldera Hand Soap in Ginger Pomolo
Juicy Couture Viva la Juicy La Fleur
Yu-Be Moisturizing Skin Cream


Schick Hydro Silk Razor (not pictured)
stila smudge stick waterproof eyeliner in oscar fish


The smudge stick is very pretty. If you look closely you can see that it has bits of shimmery bronze in it. And they're not joking when they say it's waterproof. I scrubbed my arm with a washcloth and I still have a brown line that you can see. I'm excited to use this.

I've already received the Yu-Be Cream in a previous box. The smell is... something else, but I use it on my cuticles after I do my nails or on my heels. If you can get past the smell, it works well. It says you can use it on your lips, and I'm sure it would be moisturizing, but the smell.

I keep spraying on the Juicy Couture Viva la Juicy La Fleur. I love, love, love Juicy Couture fragrances, so I was extremely eager to try this. I was especially excited to receive it in both boxes. I will use every drop. It has the sweetness of all Juicy fragrances with a nice floral undertone. However, like most will say, the scent goes away quickly, and at $70 for a full-sized bottle, I don't think it should. I have it on right now and I keep smelling it over and over.

I haven't tried the Caldera Hand Soap yet, and I would just throw it in my bag just in case, but it's in the dreaded cardboard liquid sample holder. I'm afraid it would get all over everything. I guess I'll keep in in my bathroom at home in case I run out of hand soap.

Box #6:


Contents: 
Beauty Fixation Make-Up Remover (3 Ct.)
Comodynes Hydra-Tanning Face Moisturizing Summer Glow 
Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive 
DDF Brightening Cleanser 
Juicy Couture Viva la Juicy La Fleur 
Schick Hydro Silk Razor


Everyone else that got the Beauty Fixation Q-tips (lip conditioner, nail polish remover, etc.) got a full box, but we just got three for the make-up remover, which makes no sense to me whatsoever. I might get a better feel for them if I had the box to take around with me, but as it stands, I'm not going to put some stray Q-tips full of make-up remover in my purse. Some subscribers had these come open already, and I'm afraid that will happen inside my purse full of things that I like to have with me all the time.

The Cosmodynes Self-Tanning wipes will get some use when school starts back up next week. I've seen pictures of good results, as long as you only use one per leg. I'm happy to try it out, but I've honestly been happy with my Banana Boat Summer Color that I can get at Walmart for $7. I will not be trying the Hydra Tanning Face Moisturizing Summer Glow because of my sensitive skin. I don't even want to attempt it a week before classes.

My boyfriend stole the DDF Brightening Cleanser for this exact reason. I can't use it, but he can. It smells really good and he seems to like it. He took it before I could even get a good picture.

The Schick Hydro Silk Razor was an extra in all Birchboxes this month. The moisture strip on the razor is really weird and has almost a mucous-y consistency when mixed with shave gel (or used in general). This was somewhat off-putting, but it had a nice, close shave, so I won't complain. I have three of these now. Who doesn't need more razors?

Overall, it was a good Birchbox month. A lot of people were unhappy, but it depends on what you're looking for in a beauty box sub. I think I would have been significantly less happy had I not gotten the Stila liner in one of my boxes, but it's full-sized and pays for both boxes itself.

You can subscribe to Birchbox here for $10/month (disclaimer: referral link). It's been more than worth it for me consistently.




No comments:

Post a Comment